We all recognize the ectomorph as a type of skinny person that usually has a hard time putting some muscle on, or even any kind of weight on his bones for that matter. But an ectomorph can be totally different than a true hardgainer.
Skinny ectomorphs usually have a problem with eating. All they have to do is eat more and all of the weight they gain is mostly lean muscle. Yes, it’s that easy for them.
Skinny fat hardgainers on the other hand, have a real problem with their weight. They carry very little muscle mass, they have narrow shoulders, skinny arms and legs, and at the same time they can carry more than 20 % of body fat.
These days, it seems we have way more skinny fat guys than we had years ago. What is the reason for this condition? Quality and quantity of today’s food and beverages has a lot to do with it, but mostly is a matter of hormonal imbalance caused by stress.
You see, a true hardgainer will most certainly have low testosterone and growth hormone levels and at the same time – high cortisol and estrogen levels. The best thing a hardgainer can do to correct his hormonal balance is to reduce the stress by improving sleep quality.
So if you want to build muscle, gain strength and lose fat – good quality sleep is maybe more important than diet and training itself. Here are a few tips that will ensure you a good night sleep:
– Go to bed early and try to get 8-9 hours of undisturbed sleep.
– Slow down. Don’t exercise right before you go to sleep. Leave a few hours for winding down before you go to bed.
– Have a hot shower and watch some TV before bed. This will help you relax.
– Take out all the electronic devices from the room you sleep in, especially your mobile phones.
– Stop eating about two to three hours before you go to sleep. This way you give your stomach some time to digest your food.
Like we said, nothing is more important for your health and success in the gym like a good night sleep and a solid meal. So don’t go looking for some supplement that will help you burn fat and build muscle.