There is a good reason for classifying ginger as superfood. Ginger is known to improve immunity, digestion and reduces inflammatory processes.
Ginger contains zingerone, shogaols and gingerols – essential oils that provide its recognizable aroma and flavor. In addition these oils make powerful agents effective in fighting bacteria, viruses, fungi and parasites. The consumption of ginger root can improve your digestion and immunity, and it is beneficial in treating asthma, cardiovascular problems and many other health issues.
Ginger as medicine
- Ginger makes a good medicine for headaches, flu, cold and sore muscles. It’s unique substances make for his ability stop pain, and prevent an inflammatory response in the body.
- Consuming ginger tea on regular basis greatly strengthens the immune system. With its high quantity of antioxidants it can boost immunity and help in warding off infections.
- Drinking only a cup daily will greatly reduce the risk of stroke, because ginger also break down the fat layered in your blocked arteries.
- With its ability to warm your body, ginger is also good for improving the circulation of blood. Increasing the blood glow will improve the exchange of vitamins, minerals and oxygen in your cells.
- This spicy root is also known to kill the common cold virus.
- Researchers have recently discovered that ginger extract is mortal enemy of lung cancer cells. Moreover, it’s metabolites are even more toxic. According to them, one of the compounds found in ginger, the 6-Gingerol, is metabolized into 6-gingerdiol inside the cancer cells. Studies have shown that it can destroy up to 76% of lung cancer cells. This discovery only adds up to the previously confirmed anti-cancer properties of the ginger extract, which is also very efficient treatment for other types of cancer: prostate cancer, pancreatic cancer, breast cancer, colon cancer and leukaemia.Now we know how exactly ginger extract kills the cells. Also, the health benefits of this superfood go beyond killing cancer. Recently it has been proved that ginger can improve insulin sensitivity, reducing the insulin levels in people with diabetes. According to yet another study aimed at women, ginger can greatly improve memory and cognitive performance.
Ginger Tea Recipe
- 1 cup of water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Coconut milk (to taste)
- Raw organic honey (to taste)
Boil the water. Reduce the heat after adding the ground ginger and turmeric. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add coconut milk, honey or lemon to improve its taste.