A study done by the American Council of Exercise concluded that doing kettlebell swings had the potential to burn up to 20 calories a minute. Considering it’s a simple exercise, it’s absolutely fantastic. On the other hand, the same study concluded that a spin class can only help you burn slightly less than 10 calories a minute, which is less than half the kettlebell swings burn. Taking this big difference in burned calories into consideration, it’s not surprising that kettlebell swings have achieved enormous popularity in recent years among recreational and professional lifters alike.
In addition to burning lots of calories and fat tissue, kettlebell swings will engage almost every muscle in your body, which is basically the main requirement of any fat burning program, in order to yield results.
You might like : 10 Kettlebell Exercises for a Total Body Burn
There is an enormous variety of kettlebell exercises, which makes it excellent for designing literally hundreds of different workout routine which will enable you to burn off the extra fat, build lean muscle tissue and greatly improve your metabolism. Next, let’s take a look at a list of the benefits you’ll start seeing once your start doing kettlebell swings several times a week:
1. You’ll burn lots of fat, which is evident from the aforementioned study, meaning you can burn up to 20 calories a minute.
2. It provides an ideal combo of strength and cardio workout.
3. It greatly boosts your metabolism for several hours after finishing your workout, which translates into increased fat and calorie burning.
4. Your workouts will be short. You’ll find that 5 to 10 minutes will be enough to get the full benefits of kettlebell swings.
5. They are easy to learn and do and can be done by people from different levels of fitness.
6. It’s easy on your body and joints.
7. You don’t need to have a gym membership. You can do them outdoors, in your garage, wherever you want.
8. It will help you develop and tremendous functional and core strength.
9. It lets you design your own workout routines and vary them often.
10. And last, but not least, it’s fun.
The list can go on, but the main takeaway is that kettlebell swing workouts are the greatest in terms of fat loss. Not counting sprinting, kettlebell swings are the next best piece of equipment you can perform with to get rid of the extra fat and get lean and athletic as fast as possible.
As was already mentioned, there are tons of workout options to choose from. You can also add some bodyweight exercises in your workout routine to complement the kettlebell movements. The workout routine options are virtually endless. Below you will find three kettlebell swing workouts which will help you get rid of the fat, strengthen your core muscles and keep your metabolism revved up for hours afterward.
You might like : Best Bodyweight Exercises for a Shredded Physique
Kettlebell Workout #1 (12-Minute Kettlebell Fat Loss Workout)
Turkish Get Up: 5 reps on each side
When you’re done with the 5 reps on both sides, without resting start the circuit written below:
1. One-Armed Kettlebell Swings: 10 with each arm
2. Kettlebell Thrusters: 5 on each side
3. One-Armed Kettlebell Swings: 10 with each arm
4. Kettlebell Windmill: 5 reps on each side
5. One-Armed Kettlebell Swings: 10 with each arm
6. Tactical Lunges: 20 total reps
7. One-Armed Kettlebell Swings: 10 with each arm
Kettlebell Workout #2
Do a hundred kettlebell swings and only take a rest when you feel that your form is getting sloppy. Pick a weight that you can do twenty swings a time with.
Kettlebell Workout #3
You’ll use the following exercises: Tactical Lunges, Turkish Get Up, Swings to Wide Leg Push Ups, High Pulls, and Goblet Squats
Tactical Lunges – 45 seconds followed by 20 seconds of rest
Turkish Get Up – 45 seconds followed by 20 seconds of rest
Swings to Wide Leg Push Ups – 45 seconds followed by 20 seconds of rest
High Pulls – 45 seconds followed by 20 seconds of rest
Goblet Squats – 45 seconds followed by 20 seconds of rest
Do each movement for forty five seconds, then rest twenty seconds and proceed to the next movement. Complete two to five rounds depending on how fit you are.
Simple and effective, three kettlebell workouts designed to eliminate the fat. In order to start noticing better results, you can slowly start adding two to three kettlebell workouts per week.