The standing barbell shoulder press is an amazing exercise which targets a lot of muscle and increases the stability of your core. The most of the work is done by the front and side delts, then the rear delts, upper pectoral muscles, triceps and traps. Lower back muscles and abdominal muscles are also included in the movement as they help in stabilization.
Even though it works so many muscle groups, very few people use the standing barbell shoulder press in their workout routines. Instead they replace it with the seated press, dumbbell press, machine shoulder press etc.
Even though the bench press is mostly used for building power and mass in your upper body, we can safely say that the standing barbell shoulder press is the basic movement for the development of a powerful top.
Consider the main points related to standing shoulder press.
1. Correct technique. The movement should be carried out in a full range of motion. Clear it from the rack, rest it on your upper chest, press the bar upward until your arms are extended overhead, lower it slowly, put on the rack. Remember, use full range of motion for maximal results.
2. Frequency of performance. Don’t execute the standing shoulder press too often. Deltoids, namely the front delts, is involved in many other exercises such as bench press, incline bench press, dips etc. Because of this it’s pretty easy to burn your front delts and even injure them because of the accumulated fatigue. Once a week will be enough.
3. Work weight. We advise you to start with light to moderate weights. You need to feel the muscles working. Even with moderate weights, you will see good results. Over time, when you get stronger, you can increase the weight you lift.
4. Prevention of injuries. Standing barbell shoulder press strengthens your shoulder girdle. A strong shoulder girdle prevents smaller injuries to the shoulders from other exercises and movements.
5. As you get stronger at this exercise, the strength will transfer to all other upper body pushing movements. After some time you can expect to push bigger weights on your bench press and triceps exercises.
Lose fat with the diet that combines the principles of digestive health and intermittent fasting - Click here to find our more
6. Finally, standing barbell shoulder press will give your upper body a harder and crafted look, which is a plus for every male. Males with big shoulders are usually perceived as alpha males and get greater attention from the opposite sex.