You may like it or not , but it’s a proven fact that broccoli is one of the healthiest vegetables around. Numerous studies show that broccoli prevents the development of tumors even up to 60 percent, and that ingridients in brocolli reduce existing tumors up to 75 percent, which is a high number. (1)
1. Broccoli contains glukorafanin that is the main precursor of sulforaphane – an ingredient that has been known for its health benefits. The body processes glukorafanin into the anti – cancerous compound sulforaphane . This compound cleans the body from Helicobacter pylori, a bacterium known to increases the risk of stomach cancer . In addition, broccoli prevents development of breast, cervical and prostate tumors, and improves our liver function. Besides broccoli, similar properties can be found in sprouts, cauliflower and cabbage.
2. Broccoli has high content of soluble fibers that are known to reduce the levels of bad cholesterol in the body, improve digestion, gut health. Broccoli is also known to prevent constipation, maintain blood sugar at normal levels and prevent overeating. In addition, 100 grams of broccoli has the same amount of vegetable protein as 100 grams of rice or corn, but with less than half the calories .
3. Broccoli is a particularly rich source of kaempferol and isothiocyanate, which are considered the most powerful anti-inflammatory substances. Studies have shown that eating broccoli reduces the impact of allergies and has anti-inflammatory properties. (2)
4. Broccoli has the highest levels of vitamin C in the family of cruciferous vegetables. Vitamin C by itself is a powerful antioxidant.
5. This vegetable also has high levels of calcium and vitamin K which are important for bone health and prevention of osteoporosis at older age.
6. The anti-inflamatory properties found in this cruciferous vegetable may prevent the damage done to the walls of blood vessels.
7. Due to high levels of potassium and magnesium contained, broccoli helps in maintaining the blood pressure in the normal limits.
Lose fat with the diet that combines the principles of digestive health and intermittent fasting - Click here to find our more