Testosterone is the one of the most anabolic hormones in the body and the one that is most responsible for building muscle mass and mood improvement. If you want to build muscle, three conditions must be fulfilled.
– First, you need to send your muscles some kind of a signal, which will tell them they need to get bigger and stronger. This is where weightlifting comes.
– Second, you have to provide the needed calories in order for the growth process to occur. Without the building blocks you can’t build a house.
– And third, you have to create an anabolic environment (increase testosterone levels and growth hormone) that is most suitable for increasing muscle mass, therefore allowing you to see the best results from your training program.
Here are the top 5 ways to create that anabolic environment or increase testosterone:
1. Lift Heavy
Muscles make your metabolism quicker and they increase the body’s natural production of testosterone. So the more muscle you carry the faster your metabolism will be and more fat will be burned just to sustain the muscles. Plus, heavy lifting itself, tends to stimulate the production of anabolic hormones, increase testosterone levels and growth hormone. Be sure to do lifts that are challenging to your body, lifts like squats, deadlifts, barbell rows, overhead presses and pull ups and forget about extensions and cables.
2. Eat More Protein
Research shows that trainees that are eating meat-based protein, have higher testosterone levels, so make sure you eat some lean meat every day if you want to build muscle or tone your body. A study of 1,522 men ages 40-70 following low-protein diets had lower sex drives and decreased testosterone.So forget your vegetarian diet and eat some lean meats, eggs, fish and milk.
3. Consume Plenty of Good Fats
About 20 or more percent of your daily calories should come from healthy fats. There are numerous studies today show the benefits of essential fatty acids.These fatty acids help muscle growth by increasing testosterone levels and assistance in the protein breakdown
process that takes place in the liver.
4. Get Some Sleep
Over-training is the fastest way to see testosterone levels decrease, so it’s really important to get some rest. Not to mention that testosterone and growth hormone are secreted mainly during sleep hours. It is scientifically proven that poor sleep lowers testosterone levels in men. Be sure you get 8-9 hours of sleep every night and also if you can take quick day naps. Supplementing with zinc, magnesium and melatonin can aid in getting a restful sleep.
5. Decrease or Cut Alcohol and Nicotine
It’s well known that alcohol, nicotine and drugs inhibit the production of testosterone. So if you are a party animal and still want to have great shape and physical fitness, then it’s definitely time to re question your priorities.
Also, certain vitamins, minerals and herbs are known to help in increasing the body’s natural testosterone production.