Keto vs low carb diet, what’s the difference?

Keto vs low carb diet, what’s the difference? While both diets are similar, they both offer fast fat loss, they still have significant differences. Read on to find out exactly how they differ.

If you’re looking for a quick weight loss diet, then both keto and the low-carb diet are well known for offering just that. However, what exactly is the difference between the two diets? Whereas the keto diet is a diet that’s low in carbs, it still does put you in a state of ketosis. Individuals that are on a keto diet have to enter a state of ketosis as this condition is one in which the body burns fat for fuel instead of carbs.

While in that state of ketosis, decreased hunger is a common feeling. Not only do the foods included in the keto diet help with weight loss, they also help in maintaining muscle mass as well! That is though, if you follow the diet to a T and have the right technique.

What’s the difference between keto and low carb diet ? Keto diet vs low carb diet showdown!

The main and most important part of a keto diet is the carbohydrate intake limiting you need to maintain to as low as 20 grams of carbs per day. While maintaining that, you also will need to limit your daily protein intake, all depending on the level of physical activity that you do.

Meanwhile, the low carb diet, will also require you to limit your carb intake, but it does involve more protein consumption than the normal keto diet. If you have put yourself on a low carb diet, then only 20 % of it will be carbs, the remaining 80 % will be split evenly between both protein and fat intake. Unfortunately, while on a low carb diet, the body does not enter the state of ketosis, so this type of diet offers a temporary and swift weight loss.

While on a keto diet, less than around 5 % of your calories will originate from carbs, that makes the body enter the state of ketosis. Meanwhile, 70 % of the diet is comprised of foods with a high fat content, the rest of the diet’s contents is 25 % of protein rich foods and only a measly 5 % of it includes carbs.

Although, these two diets aren’t the only ones of their kind that offer the same benefits. Looking at other diets such as the Paleo diet, which focuses mainly on the foods that were available to consume during the Paleolithic era. As well as the Mediterranean diet, intermittent fasting and the carnivore diet, all of these have their own set of rules you need to do for an efficient weight loss.

However, nutritionists from all over does not recommend and shuns following such “fad” diets for long periods of time as they can have negative effects and can lead to nutritional deficiencies and can make you in turn feel fatigued and irritable.

So, if you try and follow these diets, you should definitely follow them in moderation and only for a short period of time before stopping.

For the latest news and updates join our 1 Million fans on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.

Leave a Reply